Thursday, 27 September 2012

Rosie's Intro

Hello everyone. Guess I'll kick of the introductions on here...my name is Rosie, I'm 28 and I'm a freelance archaeological consultant based in Kent, UK. I studied for my Undergraduate Degree at University College London, graduating 2006, and have been working in commercial archaeology ever since. I've worked for various units on fieldwork around the South-East, and have been doing more consultancy-based work since my son, Archie, was born - he is now nearly 3. I mostly do desk-based consultancy work, archaeological assessments for development schemes, project designs etc etc, but also fieldwork. I'm excavation manager for a Reading University excavation in Lyminge, Kent - a major Anglo-Saxon excavation which has AHRC funding for the next couple of years (excuse me plugging another blog, but if anyone is interested....http://blogs.reading.ac.uk/lyminge/). 

My main reasons for starting the MA course are really vocational - I want to expand my professional portfolio and start taking on more landscape based work. I get offered bits of GIS work, landscape assessments and Auto-Cad/Surveying work, and generally have to turn it down as I don't have the expertise. Hopefully the MA with Birmingham will change that! I'd also like to apply my studies to the Lyminge site, as I'm pretty fortunate to have access to the records for such an interesting excavation. Also, I am (perhaps a bit pathetically) looking forward to writing an essay! DBA's get a bit formulaic after a while, and having 'no archaeological finds or features' on copy and paste for post-ex reports is a bit soul-destroying! 

Well that's me - look forward to hearing from you all, and here's to a successful 2 years! 

Rosie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.